Saturday, May 12, 2012

In Memory of Allene D. Blair 3/8/1936 - 6/1/1978 ~ Happy Mother's Day

Mother's Day ~ A beautiful day that we take time out to recognize all mothers!  Some have already been called home to be with our Heavenly Father and others are enjoying life with their children right here on this beautiful earth.

My Mother, Allene Theresa Davies, was born 3/8/1936 and unfortunately was called home much too soon (for me) on 6/1/1978 at 42 years old.  Thankfully I now know that Jesus has a plan and this was part of that plan.  Every plan has a purpose and like a developing photo, it's being made clearer each and every day.  Although I miss my mother terribly, I no longer mourn her internally as I have done for years.  Mother's Day is a day to Celebrate our Mothers and that's exactly what I want to do for my own mother today! She deserves a celebration and I want her to be dancing in Heaven with my dad, my grandparents, and those that have passed before me. 

  Her children rise up and call her blessed ~ Proverbs 31

I only had 12 years with my mother, but the memories of those years are vivid for me.  The most vivid memory is my mother's smile.  My mother smiled all the time.  For years when I would go back home to Buffalo and talk to family and friends from the years my mother was alive, they always told me "Your mother always had a smile on her face".  Absolutely! I remember that smile, it is forever engraved in my mind and heart, never to be forgotten. I see it in my own daughters, and even in my grandson.   My mother's life was not always peaches and cream and she had some hard times as well; however, she never let those times steal her smile!  She loved life and loved to laugh and have fun. She was the life of every party, in a positive way.

I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well. 
                                                          2 Timothy 1:5 ESV

My mother was one of 6 children, 3 boys and 3 girls. There were 31 grandchildren and since my grandparents passed away, I haven't heard a total count of great grandchildren! I can only imagine! There was sister (my Aunt) Carol, who had several children herself and was better known as our "nutty" aunt, never a dull moment with Aunt Carol ~ sister (my Aunt) Shirley who quite possibly missed her calling as a nun, just kidding, but she was our straight laced devout Catholic aunt that baked all the time (or so it seemed)~ then, there was my mother, the baby.....she wasn't as straight laced devout Catholic as Shirley but wasn't as "nippy" as Carol either.   She had a personality all her own.  Outgoing, fun, and yes, always smiling!  To me, she was the most beautiful mother ever!

And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
                                                            Deuteronomy 6:6-7

I give my mother credit for the morals and values instilled in me and my brothers.  As long as I can remember my mother worked full time.  After she and my father divorced after 19 years, she worked two jobs. She was very hardworking and did a great job of balancing work and her children.  We had rules, understood the value of a dollar, respected the elders in our life, and praise God that none of us found our way into trouble.  We were taught the important things at a young age and that carried over into our adult lives.  Way to go Mom!  That was a huge feat!

 ..... and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.
                                                             Titus 2:4-5

Mom was the hockey mom that attended all my brothers games, that dyed our poodles red and green at Christmas and brought them to school for show and tell, that cooked dinner for my sister-in-law when my brother brought her home for the very first time to meet us, that took us to Friendly's for ice cream after school functions, that allowed me to play Viola and came to my orchestra concerts.  She had my graduation dress made as we went from 6th grade elementary school to 7th grade junior high school - I remember the dress like it was yesterday.  It was a light blue swiss long dress and I wore a light blue velvet choker with it. I didn't appreciate it back then, but looking back now, I do!  The trouble she went through to have a dress special made, Wow!   Perhaps these are things that every parent does, but I always saw my mother go above and beyond in everything she did for us kids. And always with a HUGE smile.

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.  And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
                                                             Ephesians 1:1-5

I have some funny memories as well - the fact that the mole on my face is a "beauty mark" and was never to be removed because that is a glamorous symbol - She used to say "Look at the stars, they draw them on their faces!" - many of the actresses of that era did have "beauty marks".  I remember having to stand behind my mother, with her hair pick, and lift her hair to make sure there weren't any holes or bald areas showing - this was an every day task!  In the car I used to have to tell her when she had make-up lines that had to be rubbed in.  (today, I tell my own daughter the same thing! - BLAIR, rub that make up down into your neck!).  I remember putting make up on and dressing up at about 11 years old - putting on my mothers GREEN eye shadow, yes green~that was the only color she used.  I remember her telling me how beautiful I was.

Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with a rod, he will not die.  If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol.
Proverbs 23:13-14

When I made my First Holy Communion, my veil was made from my mother's bridal veil.  I sure wish that I had this today.  I remember how absolutely beautiful it was. The same beads used on my mother's headpiece, were used on mine. I hope one day I will find a picture or maybe even find the veil put up in my mother's keepsake items.

She had her favorite neices, my cousins, Corky, Terri, and Karen. With Karen she made "Mexican Sundae's".  She was just incredible in every way - loved people, loved life! And was always smiling!

I am so proud of my mother and I love her more today than I ever did.  She was beautiful and loving~and the love of my life!  The memories ..... ah the memories.  I thank God for allowing these to remain so clear even though she has been gone nearly 34 years.

I made my mother a plaque years ago and the poem on it read as follows.  Here's to forever memories

Mother
To one who bears the sweetest name,
and adds a luster to the same,
who shares my job
who cheers when sad,
the greatest friend I've ever had
Long life to her for there's no other,
to take the place of my dear mother
Author Unknown

 
HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY MOM!  I LOVE YOU!  XOXOXOXOX 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Must Read Books!

  • A Confident Heart, Renee Swope
  • An Untroubled Heart, Micca Campbell
  • Crazy Love, Frances Chan
  • Fit for My King, Sheri Rose Shepherd
  • Made to Crave, Lysa TerKeurst
  • Radical, David Platt
  • Winning Him without Words, Lynn Donovan & Dineen Miller